This transfer saga has gone on for too long and with no end in sight
This transfer window has seen Blues make futile attempts for several players, and this could happen to be the case with Barcelona winger Ousmane Dembele who is edging nearer to a move to the Premier League.
The French forward who has been at the Camp Nou since 2017, has had a very dramatic transfer window as his contract renewal talks with the Blaugranas collapsed.
(🌕) Barcelona has informed Dembele’s camp that the club’s renewal offer has expired — it has to be renegotiated now, that to under similar terms as the renewals of Ansu and Pedri . @gerardromero #Transfers 🇫🇷
— Reshad Rahman ✆ (@ReshadRahman_) January 29, 2022
And due to rocky negotiations between him and the club, the player has been linked with various clubs, but particularly from the Premier League as they can offer him wages that he demands.
While PSG are still an option for the winger, he eyes a move across to England.
And according to a report by Catalan news publication SPORT, there are three front running Premier League clubs who are in the hunt for the Frenchman’s signature, should he leave right now or the summer.
The front runner in this race still may be the Blues as they have one massive advantage over other clubs, that is the Blues manager Thomas Tuchel.
Ousmane Dembele and Thomas Tuchel have shared the same club for a year and seem to have a great relationship, as Tuchel said this about him recently.
“He’s a really nice boy but a little crazy.”
He said, “Ousmane is an incredible player, he’s really talented. I could watch his amazing skills in every training session.
“If he’s focused enough, he can reach any level. When I talked to him for the very first time, he told me that he wanted to play for Barcelona. That’s where he is now.
“It means he can reach any level, but he needs to remain focused and improve each day.” Certainly big words of praise from the German for his former player, and it seems Dembele shares similar feelings.
Chelsea are willing to sign Ousmane Dembele from Barcelona in the next 48 hours,
— Vince™ (@Blue_Footy) January 30, 2022
Such words amidst heavy transfer rumors linking Dembele to Chelsea, these sentences in the press can easily be taken for something more than just admiration.
And with Chelsea’s star signings in Romelu Lukaku, Kai Havertz misfiring so far this season, an inconsistent Hakim Ziyech, and also Timo Werner looking for a move away, Dembele might just be who’s needed.
The side from Old Trafford have now somewhat of a tradition of being linked to the talented winger every transfer window now, with him being very close to a move on several occasions.
The last Dembele was so close to switching sceneries from Barcelona to Manchester was in the summer of 2020, when Ronald Koeman had just taken over as Barcelona’s manager.
NEW: Reports from Spain suggesting that Manchester United in advanced negotiations to sign Ousmane Dembélé on loan from Barcelona with an option to buy. This deal will help Barca to sign Aubameyang from Arsenal and the Londoners to sign Alexander Isak from Real Sociedad. #afc pic.twitter.com/7AS8C0muDw
— AFC Report (@afcreport14) January 30, 2022
However, at the very last moment the move fell through and the winger ended up staying put at Barcelona.
United also wound up signing their long sought after target Jadon Sancho from Dortmund, however he has been less than lackluster since his transfer.
One of the clubs in the Premier League who can now definitely afford the winger’s wage demands are undoubtedly Newcastle United, who have had a very fresh takeover by the Saudi Wealth Fund.
Due to the take over, Newcastle have now large sums of investments being made as evident with the new signing of Bruno Guimarães, which displays a statement of intent from the new owners.
🚨🚨| Dembélé is working on LEAVING FC Barcelona this month; Manchester United, Newcastle & Chelsea are the most interested clubs, though PSG is still an option.@Luis_F_Rojo [🎖️]
— Managing Barça (@ManagingBarca) January 29, 2022
And what better to announce yourself in the football world by snapping up a player from one of the biggest clubs in the world?
However, more than just that, Newcastle United currently finds itself in a relegation race and such signings are more than necessary to stay afloat in the league with such new ambitions.
WATCH: Chelsea’s out-of-favour striker Romelu Lukaku scores twice in action-packed second half 🔥
Romelu Lukaku scores twice v Wolves: Chelsea welcomed Wolverhampton Wanderers to Stamford Bridge tonight in a contest where they were hopeful of reversing their poor run of form to guarantee themselves a Champions League berth.
Despite the Blues receiving two goal scoring opportunities in the first-half of the game, it still ended in a stalemate. However, as the second-half commenced, Romelu Lukaku stepped up to strike twice in quick succession to put Chelsea on a trajectory toward what appeared to be a deserved victory at that time.
Lukaku’s goal tally for Chelsea this season has totalled up to 14 now, causing him to become the highest goal scorer for the Blues, just a goal ahead of Kai Havertz. His performance tonight underlines his renewed confidence as he looks to be approaching the sort of form that had deserted him for most of the season.
Romelu Lukaku hadn’t scored in the Premier League since December 29th.
129 days later and he's got a brace in 3 minutes ⚽⚽ pic.twitter.com/FzZx49vvHw
— B/R Football (@brfootball) May 7, 2022
Watch how Romelu Lukaku scores twice in quick succession to give Chelsea’s scoreline an uplift:
The first goal came in response to a VAR call for a foul committed by Saiss on Romelu Lukaku as both players were caught up in a tangle on the edge of the penalty area.
Watch Lukaku’s left-footed penalty here:
The second goal was a Pulisic interception that found Lukaku who then completed the play with an emphatic low finish from the edge of the box with his weaker right foot.
Romelu Lukaku gets his brace with an assist from Christian Pulisic!
— Chelsea FC USA (@ChelseaFCinUSA) May 7, 2022
Lukaku wasn’t able to register himself on the scoresheet for Chelsea ever since the start of year 2022 – a daunting prospect for such an expensive striker – however, that record has been laid to rest today as his goals v Wolves have certainly managed to make a statement of his intent.
It’s a shame that a subpar defensive performance from his side overshadowed his monumental return to form. Chelsea were stripped to bone with comeback goals from Wolves that added misery to Chelsea’s hopes of securing a victory. The game ended in an unanticipated 2-2 draw.
After racking up underwhelming results from their recent run-ins, Chelsea are looking a lot less comfortable in the rough and tumble of Premier League’s top-four now. With the fourth-placed Arsenal and fifth-placed Tottenham breathing down Chelsea’s neck, their margin for error has now decreased to just two points, especially after having picked up only 5 points from a possible 15.
Official: Todd Boehly’s consortium signs agreement with Chelsea FC to succeed Roman Abramovich
Chelsea released an official statement in the early hours of Saturday morning confirming that the terms have been agreed with the LA Dodgers’ part-owner Todd Boehly’s consortium to complete the £4.25bn takeover of the club though the acquisition is yet to be approved by the Premier League authorities as well as the UK government.
The statement read:
‘Chelsea Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed for a new ownership group, led by Todd Boehly, Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjoerg Wyss, to acquire the Club’.
— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC) May 7, 2022
🚨🔵 Official. Chelsea statement now confirms that “terms have been agreed for a new ownership group, led by Todd Boehly, Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjoerg Wyss, to acquire the Club”. #CFC
It’s the end of Roman Abramovich era. pic.twitter.com/fTw5EMdd8p
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) May 7, 2022
Last week, it was revealed that Todd Boehly & Co were Raine Group’s preferred choice to succeed Roman Abramovich following which the group were given one-week window of exclusive negotiations with the club to finalise the takeover. The deal had appeared in doubt due to late interest from Sir Jim Ratcliffe, however, those fears were dissipated as the Ratcliffe bid was later dismissed on account of his inability to complete the sale process by May 31st – the date when Chelsea’s current license expires.
Although the group is fronted by Todd Boehly, private equity firm Clearlake Capital is the one providing the majority of the financial firepower to it. The consortium also includes Swiss billionaire Hansjörg Wyss, Boehly’s fellow LA Dodgers’ owner Mark Walter and the British property developer Jonathan Goldstein.
As per Chelsea’s official statement, the £4.25bn headline sum includes the £2.5bn cost required to secure shares in Chelsea – which will go into a frozen UK bank account for the purpose of releasing 100 per cent of the proceeds to charitable causes – the remaining £1.75bn is the amount the group have committed to invest in the club’s future, covering costs regarding redevelopment projects and ensuring there are sufficient funds in place for operational use.
‘The proposed new owners will commit £1.75bn in further investment for the benefit of the Club. This includes investments in Stamford Bridge, the Academy, the Women’s Team and Kingsmeadow and continued funding for the Chelsea Foundation’.
The Clause also placed a limit on the debt the new owners can place on the club.
It also made sure the group pledged £1.75B to be invested in Chelsea's male and female teams, the academy, stadium, and the Chelsea Foundation.
Roman Abramovich secured Chelsea for at least 10yrs. pic.twitter.com/RhZ985Vuxq
— SportsDokita (Odogwu ☝️) (@Sports_Doctor2) May 7, 2022
Few final, obligatory steps remain in the official transfer of ownership of Chelsea Football Club to Todd Boehly’s consortium, one of which requires all group members to complete the Premier League Owners’ and Directors’ Test. Furthermore, Chelsea will have to apply for the amended license from the UK government that would upgrade the club’s operational capacity in addition to allowing the transaction to go ahead. The preparations are underway as the Raine Group wants the sale process to reach its completion as soon as possible.
Chelsea team news v Wolverhampton Wanderers: Four players on the injury list, including a midfield duo.
Chelsea team news v Wolverhampton Wanderers: Chelsea welcome Wolverhampton Wanderers to Stamford Bridge on Saturday where they will be looking to reverse their poor run of form to guarantee themselves a Champions League berth. There are four player absentees that have been confirmed so far by head coach, Thomas Tuchel, in today’s pre-match conference.
After racking up underwhelming results from their recent run-ins, Chelsea are looking a lot less comfortable in the rough and tumble of Premier League’s top-four now. With the fourth-placed Arsenal and fifth-placed Tottenham breathing down Chelsea’s neck, their margin for error has now decreased to just three points, especially after having picked up only 4 points from a possible 12.
Chelsea team news v Wolverhampton Wanderers: The central midfield duo N’Golo Kante and Jorginho are ruled out of action for tomorrow’s clash as reported by Thomas Tuchel at a press briefing today.
Additionally, the long-term absentees Callum Hudson-Odoi and Ben Chilwell also remain restricted to the sidelines, despite returning to light training.
— Absolute Chelsea (@AbsoluteChelsea) May 6, 2022
N’Golo Kante had sustained a knock in the game against Manchester United, consequently missing last weekend’s trip to Everton where his fellow midfielder Jorginho was taken off the pitch at interval.
‘For N’Golo it comes too early. Jorginho is out as well, these two are missing. Callum and Ben Chilwell are still out,’ said the Blues boss.
The duo’s unavailability will give way to introducing Kovačić and most likely RLC in their stead as the latter is currently enjoying an upturn in form.
Mateo Kovačić returned to action as a half-time substitute last weekend after missing a couple games on account of nursing an ankle injury. He stands the highest chance of featuring a start in tomorrow’s game v Wolves.
There is a growing feeling that Tuchel might give Romelu Lukaku a start tomorrow, considering his substitute Kai Havertz is also struggling to find the form that has recently deserted him.
Thomas Tuchel has expressed optimism regarding Lukaku’s reaction in training this week. The Blues boss said;
‘I want him to be an important part of the squad, right now he is very important. There is no recruitment and no players are about to leave because it’s simply not possible,’
‘We need to adapt all the time, to contractual situations and also individual situations, to what we and the players want.
‘We signed a big player, he is a big player. He didn’t come on [at Everton] as we had only three changes, and unfortunately we used one at half-time with Jorginho. Otherwise there was a huge chance we had the same changes as against West Ham, with Christian Pulisic and Hakim Ziyech,’
‘He trained very well, maybe he starts tomorrow, we’ll see.’
🗣️ "Maybe starts tomorrow, let's see." 👀
Thomas Tuchel says he wants Romelu Lukaku to be an important part of the squad next season and discusses why he wasn't played against Everton 🔵 pic.twitter.com/n8Lf0sEvRP
— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) May 6, 2022